Friday 20 April 2012

Nettle Kale Fruit Smoothie

I love smoothies!
I don't care if it has mangoes, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, cranberries, blackberries, kale, spinach, ginger, peach, pear, apples, nettles, romaine lettuce or whatever it has. (As long as there is no pineapple!) I like to put kale in all my smoothies- whenever I have it on hand. It's just so yummy and healthy!
I love smoothies.


Most of the time when I make a smoothie, I just throw whatever I feel like into a magic bullet cup, twist on blender attachment and whizz away for a moment. And drink. I love my magic bullet almost as much as I love smoothies.


It's stinging nettle season! These little green leaves are so fresh, spring-like and tasty. Healthy, too!

Benefits of stinging nettles:
1. Relieves pain associated with joints or arthritis. This is especially helpful for me since I have a painful wrist and hand!
2. Treat respiratory issues, such as asthma. Helpful in the spring as a remedy against hay fever and other spring-related allergies.
3. Protect against cancer.
4. Help slow any bleeding. (high vitamin K content.)
5. When dried, there is little no no vitamin K, making it useful as a blood thinner! This amazing little herb can be used as both a blood thickener and a blood thinner! Amazing! Helpful for those with high blood pressure.
6. Helps treat both alzheimers and ADHD.

Side Affects:
These little buggers can STING! Use gloves when handling and especially if you go out picking them yourself!

Follow me on instagram @missymichelleee


Nettle Kale Fruit Smoothie
makes one magic bullet smoothie cup, one serving


Ingredients
1 handful nettles, stems removed (keep stems if you want, I remove since the magic bullet isn't THAT magical)
1 leaf of kale
7-8 cubes of frozen mango (about 1/2 cup)
1 half banana
2-3 strawberries (can omit, I like nutrient content of berries, so I always add a berry into my smoothies)
approx 3/4 cup coconut water (from the bottom of a full fat coconut can, leftovers from a full coconut or store-bought. Use water if you don't have.)
Raw Power or other raw protein blend, ground chia or hemp seeds (optional)

Directions
Add all ingredients. Blend! Add a splash of water if it's too thick.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment